We're proud to be the centre where many sailing and paddlesport instructors start their careers. We select only the best tutors and educators to run our comprehensive instructor training programme. Many candidates go on to work for us, delivering high quality adventurous activities to our visitors.
We provide all the equipment you'll need, although you are welcome to bring your own, and a car parking permit for the duration of your course.
Don't meet all the pre-requisites yet? Check out our range of adult courses.
Are you a volunteer and need some help with funding these courses? Give us a call on 0118 934 4424 and we'll talk you through your options.
RYA Dinghy Assistant Instructor
The RYA Assistant Dinghy Instructor award is the first step towards becoming a dinghy instructor. Participants will be encouraged to take a leadership role and develop their coaching & organisational skills. Once completed they will be able to assist as a volunteer on courses & events at the Activity Centre. This course is also suitable for people working towards their Duke of Edinburgh, Queen’s Guide, or Queen’s Scout awards.
Participants need to have RYA Stage 4 and at least one of the RYA Sailing Scheme advanced modules before taking the course. Ages 13+
Each day runs from 9am - 6pm
Archery GB Instructor Course
The Archery GB Instructor Award is an entry-level training course that prepares Learners to deliver fun, safe sessions for beginners.
- The course is designed for Learners with little or no prior experience of archery
- The course is practical in nature and Learners take part in practical archery sessions
- Learners need to be at least 17 years old by the first day of the course
- To gain the award, Learners are required to successfully complete the course in full
- Both members and non-members of Archery GB are eligible to attend the course
- Full details about the terms and conditions of entry onto a course can be found in the supporting guide ‘Archery GB Instructor Award Guidance for Learners’ found at www.archerygb.org/instructor
- Friday 18:00-21:00, Saturday 09:00-17:30, Sunday 09:00-17:30
RYA Safety Boat
This course will teach you how to use powerboats for escort, rescue and race management purposes. You will learn how to safely rescue all craft used on the lake. This course is strongly recommended for all watersports instructors. Pre-requisite RYA Powerboat Level 2.
Learn the basics of land-based lifesaving skills and keep up to date with new techniques and procedures. Ages 14+
RYA Dinghy Instructor Pre-Assessment
Pre-assessment day for the RYA Dinghy Instructor course. An external RYA coach will assess your sailing skills to ensure they are up to standard before embarking on the course. Ages 16+
RYA Dinghy Instructor
Become qualified to teach dinghy sailing and pass on your love of the sport to others. Enjoy five days of developing your coaching style, refining your sailing technique and learning how to deliver sailing schemes professionally and enthusiastically. On successful completion, you will be eligible to work as a dinghy instructor in RYA training centres. Pre-requisites include:
- Pre-entry sailing assessment successfully passed
- RYA First Aid or equivalent
- RYA Powerboat Level 2
- RYA Safe and Fun safeguarding course